Sunday, November 28, 2010

Seasons of Praha

I live in a desert that has basically one season year round with a little teaser of each other season but here in Prague that is not the case at all. Fall arrived quickly after summer faded and it was gorgeous. Prague is full of trees throughout the city and has many parks. The leaves turned the landscape from green into a yellow, orange, and red painting. Once the city was beautifully colored, the leaves started to litter the ground. The temperature slowly started to drop and the layers started to become a must. The gardens and seasonal sites started closing. Fall in Prague is absolutely amazing and breathtaking.
Once all the leaves have left the trees, the winter came stumbling in and has arrived! The starting of winter was not fun due to the freezing cold weather and anticipation for snow. The way I see it is that if it is going to be this cold, it might as well snow and give us something to look forward too. Well I got my wish on Thanksgiving as I left turkey dinner at one of my professor’s house. Turkey dinner was amazing by the way, with a huge 22 lb turkey, homemade stuffing, salads, mashed potatoes, and lots and lots of other goodies that were brought in the potluck. I have not been to a turkey dinner with the much food before and I thoroughly enjoyed every bite of it. After leaving the house completely satisfied, snowflakes started falling from the sky. It was not the first snowfall of the season because it only lasted for another few minutes but it was snow and that is all I cared about at the time. The next day was the actual first snow of the season and it was so pretty. I am like a little kid at a candy shop when I think of snow, but I have been told that will quickly change once you live in it. I don’t think it will snow enough in Prague before I leave for me to hate it, but we will see. I will keep up with my snow dances to bring more snow to Prague.
This past weekend was the Prague tree lighting ceremony and starting of the Xmas markets that are scattered all throughout the city, along with xmas trees. Prague knows how to make a winter wonderland. Red stands selling yummy food and snacks, ornaments, Xmas gifts, fruit, and souvenirs have been placed all over the city and bringing with them a wintery vibe. Santa Claus is not taking over all the walls and advertisements, which is seen as an American tradition. It is calmer and warmer here with the decorations. Christmas is still a huge deal here, but not taken over by the major companies for selling purposes but more about the celebration of winter season. I am not really sure how to describe it but winter season varies greatly from winter back home.
I look forward to the snow season to truly begin. Let’s all do the snow dance to bring more snow to Praha!




























No comments:

Post a Comment